Sunday, January 10, 2010

Christmas in Egypt

Egypt is one of those places you have to visit in your lifetime, and I had a wonderful time at the iberotel Aquamarine in Hurganda (Star Tour). The sights were fantastic, the accomodation and temperature as well.

We visited Luxor; Karnak, Valley of the Kings , the temple of Hatshepsut and the Memnon stone statues. A part of my group also went to Cairo to see the pyramids and the Sphinx. We also crossed the Nile in a river boat.

One day we spent on a trip with Colona Divers snorkling in the Red Sea. It's like beeing in an aquarium! A must do activity, even for people like me that have never been snorkling before. The guides are very helpful and teach you what you need to do.

My hubbie also went into the desert with an ATV, and they visited the Bedouins.Shopping was NOT great, they were way to pushy for my taste, but this is acceptable in Egypt.

My best traveling tips are:
Winter is the best time to visit, if you are like me and do not enjoy extreme high temperatures.
Put some ekstra toilet paper in your purse, frequently the public toilets were out.
Also be very careful with what you eat, tummy problems are frequent. The food at our hotel was very good, we did not get sick.
Be mentally prepared for the shopping experience.
Be patient.
The egyptians are very friendly and helpful if you treat them respectfully.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mona,
Welcome back!!! Happy New Year and
it appears you had a lovely time!
Yes your tips when traveling are spot on!! So glad you had a good time

Country Lou said...

Wow! I LOVE Egypt and I wish to go someday, so thanks for the useful tips.
Hugs.

Luisa