Sunday, April 21, 2013

Knitted Fabric Rugs

Are you trying to use up your scraps, but don't do much progress? Here is a real scrap buster; knit rugs with fabric strips! They can be great as chair cushions,  on the porch, or as a bed for your little pet!

Make the fabric yarn as follows:

  1. Fabric strips is cut 1 1/4 inch wide (great accuracy not required).
  2. Fold the end of the strip, about an inch. Cut a hole in the fabric, approximately half an inch. Repeat on both ends of the strips.
  3. Take two strips with cut holes. 
  4. Put the left (green) strip from below an through the hole of the right (pink) strip.
  5. Take the other end of the right (pink) strip and pull it all the way up and trough the left (green) strip.
  6. Pull on the strips, and they should be connected.
Roll up the strips into a ball while connecting the strips.I used knitting needles US 19, 15 mm.
Added later:
The rug in the picture below is 25 stitches and 56 rows. The finished size is 13,5 x 17,5 inches. This is a little narrow for e.g. a kitchen chair, I would recommend 30 stitches. Bigger sized are heavy to handle when knitting. I would rather recommend that you made several and stitch them together with a fabric strip and a large needle or large crochet hook.
Mom, are you done taking those pictures? Can I use it now?
If you make the rug, please leave a comment, I would love to take a look!

Linking up with:
Add caption

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I've shared your blog with my online quilting group (quiltinghaven.com) - I hope you don't mind.

VermontPines@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Love these knit rag rugs! How many stitches did you cast on? How big is the rug with the cat?

Mona said...

I have now updated my post with the requested information! Thank you so much for your comment!

vexa said...

Well that's something different. I like the colorful look.

Jessica Pyykkonen said...

Great idea! I will have to keep this in mind for my scraps.

Scrapatches said...

Fabulous use of leftover narrow fabric strips. I will be bookmarking this one for later use. Thanks for sharing on Monday Link-Up ... :) Pat

jan said...

Great idea. It reminds me of the old toothbrush rugs. love the kittie too.
Jan

Anonymous said...

cute rug...I have been thinking of making one out of old t-shirts. I have not yet got around to it though :-)

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Very cool!

Sewing Mom said...

That's amazing. I wish I could find someone to make one for me. =) Thanks for sharing the info. Visiting from Let's Get Acquainted. Have a great day.

Lise said...

Takk for tipset! Mulig du har løst et problem for meg og min stadig økende stoffsamling.....

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! That is so beautiful and colours are great! Lovely place for your kitten!